Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Let the Diet Commence...



Lying in bed late last night...

"I think I'll go on a diet tomorrow."

"That's the first clue that it's not going to happen then!"

"What do you mean?"

"Well the words; I think at the beginning are probably your biggest clue darling"

Now, that's when I just have to prove him wrong....I'm like a small child really, the more someone says I can't or won't do something then I have to go ahead and prove I can or I will. He's probably looking at me these days and wondering what on earth he married, so is using a little reverse psychology on me. I can't blame him really. I think the very same thing every time I have to climb into my swimsuit for Imogen's swimming lessons. Why is it that the changing rooms are always at the opposite end to where you have to get into the pool? It's like a form of torture...parade your cellulite for all to see!

A few days ago Mr PL uttered those 3 longed for but also dreaded words..."Last minute holiday"..."Last minute what?" I spluttered? Having just made a Lemon Drizzle Cake and 10 cupcakes, it wasn't really what I was hoping to hear. "Are you thinking of booking some last minute liposuction to go with that darling?"

"Where were you thinking"?

Now I was hoping that he was going to say somewhere cold as it would give me the perfect opportunity to buy this great little suit that Mr Garden Girl (From all things lovely) really felt I should buy when I was worrying about being cold on our first camping expedition (Such a funny man)! As it cost more than the actual tent at £800 I felt I should really give it a miss but sometimes "Needs must"!

Maybe that wonderful Ice Hotel and I could dress up like Shirley Bassey in the M&S Christmas advert in a big furry coat hiding a multitude of sins. Or a city of Culture perhaps?

"Somewhere hot, where we can relax by a pool and the girls can have fun"

Now is it just my husband or would any men in your lives think nothing of putting the words "relax and pool" in the same sentence when discussing children aged 2 & 3 yrs old? Who ever would be able to 'relax by a pool' when they have a 3 year old that thinks after obtaining her 'duckling' grade 1 award she'll be able to give Rebecca Adlington a run for her money at the 2012 Olympics?





Good God...Men just don't get it do they? They don't realise just how much the idea of having to wear a bikini horrifies most of us women!. I know, I know, I should be 'Comfortable in my own skin' etc etc but unfortunately that's just not me and I totally admire any woman that is. Now how the hell am I going to lose a stone before he decides the time is right to subject other holiday makers to my beautifully 'baked' Muffin top!


I was just starting to breathe a sigh of relief that we were coming to the end of the Summer(?) and I could comfortably slip into those big baggy jumpers and hide my souvenirs of child birth, not parade it on a beach somewhere to repulse anyone within a few metres of me. Now I have to rewind back 5 months when I was eagerly anticipating a beautiful British Summer and start to think about having to wear Summer dresses again....Although it does give me an excuse to wear these pretty little numbers....



So, after much huffin'n'puffin at 6.30 this morning, I donned the Nike's ,tweaked my frame of mind a little and headed to the gym at Bishopstrow House.


OK OK, so I haven't got the hang of the gym bag thing!!
Luckily there weren't any other completely mad people there to join me at 6.45am, so I didn't have to pretend that I was incredibly fit and run a half-marathon on the treadmill. Good God, I almost have an asthma attack when I'm slowly cycling away on the exercise bike watching GMTV!!


I almost fell off the stepping machine when I heard the door open behind..Oh God, is it going to be some mega fit hunky man? If it is, then I'll have to pretend that I've just finished my morning work-out, do a few stretching exercises and leave spending the remaining hour in the jacuzzi un-winding from my strenuous 8 minute work out. Apparently it's compulsory!!!!

Unfortunately it was only the cleaner filling up a glass jug from the water cooler..

"Do you want the lights on love? you can hardly see what you're doing"

"Oh, yes please" I reply trying to sound as if I was so engrossed in my calorie burning that I failed to notice that I was almost in darkness. Maybe there were another 10 hunky men in there after all and I just couldn't see them!

Then the door opened again...The gardener...again filling up his flask from the water cooler...That's what my monthly membership goes on....


After full 10 minutes work-out and having almost flung myself up onto the ceiling when I attempted to pull 20kgs on a biceps pull thingamajig...I decided that was probably enough for one day so went and ordered an orange juice and a piece of toast and sat in the library reading Harper's Bazaar. This came to my attention and whilst I sat there dreaming of a wonderful Spa Break somewhere in the Far East I clicked back to reality and the fact that I'm sure Mr PL had something much cheaper and child friendly in mind!!!



"Mummy where have you been?"

"To the gym"

"Whats that?"

"Somewhere that mummy goes and thinks that after 3 visits she'll look like Kate Moss"

"Who's Kate Moss?"

"Someone daddy wishes I looked like darling"


So there you have it. Day one of diet completed. All I have to do now is convince the lovely Mr PL that November would be a much nicer month to go in. Obviously not during the Homemade & Vintage Fair of course!

I thought that if I shared my new 'mission' with you all it would give me a little more incentive to continue the gym and diet regime! I may have to stop reading blogs however as all those homemade cakes and lovely meals are just far too tempting!

Now off to use this contraption....It 'aids' sit ups apparently. Hopefully it'll mean I'll have a little less jelly belly to 'fold' into my jeans by the end of it. They really should add 'support knickers' to the hospital bag list when you are expecting a child. When I had my first daughter I had this vision that I would skip out of the hospital, babe in arms in my size 10 jeans, I was utterly horrified when the reality was hobbling out due to a copious amount of stitches, unable to hold my newborn babe close due to severe cracking of nipples and my stomach wobbling around somewhere near to my knees.

Almost 4 years later the delivery room I gave birth in no longer exists and has been replaced by a shiny new hospital unfortunately my jelly belly hasn't....time it was I think!!!

23 comments:

Lois said...

Two thoughts . . . If you fit into those dresses you had in the photo it cant be quite as bad as you are telling it.
However, your sentiments are shared by me for sure, and sometimes I wonder where I actually went, and who is this person that is actually married to my husband, and why isnt he reading the riot act on her!
Second thought, (maybe the first thought was already two)?!
You have a wonderful sense of humor, you are a fantastic writer. Those are only the qualities that I have been able to observe through the lines of your blog having just stumbled upon it a few days ago.

Good luck on the diet, and excersize, You seem like a talented beautiful person.

tess said...

just reading about your day of diet and exercise makes me feel quite exhausted! I am the worst dieter ever, and I put it off again and again, " I'll get rid of the jelly belly next month" which is why with 3 weeks to go before I have to wear a slinky dress to a wedding I am wavering between panick dieting, and oh it's too late to bother now, pass me the cakes!

Just Original said...

I laughed out loud! Your sense of humour is great!

I thought writing about my diet on the Land of Blog would encourage me but however as its my blog I can sensor what goes in it, so surprise surprise I did not mention the weeks I managed to put weight on!

Good luck anyway, any woman that goes to the gym that early deserves to have a figure like Kate Moss!

Vanessa x

Lesley (Notesfrommydays) said...

my first thought was the same as lois - if you can wear those dresses (very pretty by the way) then it cant be all bad :-) You had me in stitches as what you say is so much what the rest of us think but cant put down in words quite so well :-) I have a stone to lose (having lost 3 stone and putting half back on mainly due to small boys birthday I blogged about and the cake ive eaten and am still doing so :-S) so you have motivated me if not yourself LOL good luckXX

mollycupcakes said...

I'm with you on the think i'll start the diet tomorrow bit, why is it when you start one and it goes well for a few weeks/months you stop and say to yourself ok one cupcake won't hurt and before you know it, you've got 3 or 4 muffins tops going on lol
After having Molly and Daisy only a year and 1 month apart like yourself, my belly has never been the same. I long for the days of flatness and no lumps or bumps :(
It's all about getting your head into the right frame of mind, well done you for getting down to the gym, i hope you get that yummy mummy body for your holiday. And you can then give two fingers to that ever so skinny Kate Moss (cow!) lol
Hugs.
Catherine x

Garden Girl said...

Oh dear, am wiping away tears here. Right lady,
a) You look bloody amazing
b) Why have you bought exactly the same (beautiful) dress in two different shades of the same colour?!
c) Why the heck would you want to look like Kate Moss? Don't you already have an ironing board in the house?
d) If I'd known you too were up at that ungodly hour I would have called- unfortunately I was chopping lettuce at the time...
What exciting lives we lead!
Can't wait to see you Monday
x

Lesley (Notesfrommydays) said...

me again :-) thanks for your comments on my blog! Happy birthday to Imogen for next weekend :-) you are lucky she was late as far to little to start school at just age 4 like my little one is :-( and he was 2 weeks early so should be next year really!!! oh well - my diet will commence next week when small people back in school OR i will be that depressed at losing them I will eat more!!!!!!!!!

dottycookie said...

You did make me laugh! I'm joining you on the losing 'baby weight' (ummm, preschooler weight?!) kick this week. I wish I only had a stone to lose but sadly it's a bit more than that ... And I never wore a bikini even before children so you're one up one me there!

Summer by the sea said...

Great Post - I agree you have a great sense of humour! I am also trying to lose a bit of weight/tone up, I have a treadmill which sits at the bottom of my bed, so its the first thing I see in the morning - Scary!
Those dresses look really pretty, I wish I was going somewhere hot enough to wear them - Good luck! - Natalie x

Unknown said...

Hilarious post and something I can empathise with too. I'm a rubbish dieter but have embarked on the low GL eating plan (Google Patrick Holford to find out more). Eating this way in conjunction with exercise should give you results. Well, that's what my nutritionist has told me anyway. Seriously though, I have lost 9lbs so far - it's very slow but it does stay off unlike the Yo-Yo diets that are around.
Thanks for visiting my blog and the lovely comments you left, I'll certainly be popping by again to see how you're getting on flower x

Tinyholder said...

Good luck with the diet. I bought an ipod with the intention of going jogging down the lane but I've had a very painful trapped nerve down my arm! Just typical, I actually want to do something and then I can't! At least you have a very valid excuse for gaining weight, ie, having kids. I went off to uni thinking I was fat (at the time I was 9 stone at my heaviest) and by the time I came out I was 11 stone and a size 14!

Anonymous said...

you go for it girl - I did something very similar a while back and the support I got from everyone was just amazing and really spurred me on. I only lost on average 1lb a week but it was still a loss. I used to update every monday for 6 weeks , give that a go see if it helps. Im backing you all the way
lisa x

Lesley (Notesfrommydays) said...

Hi there - I got those placemats and Im never sure of the blog ettiquette but I linked to your blog in my post hope thats ok - i need one of those rule books you were on about as this is probably completely not necessary!
thanks anyway - just need a sainsburys trip for the shoes LOL
Lesley x

Joanne said...

Diet don't you just hate that word the minute I think of going on one I eat more than ever.

You always put a smile on my face.

I find that the wii fit is better than any gym you can do it in your own home with the curtains closed and you can have a good old giggle as well.

Good luck anyway.

Miss sew n sew said...

Your posts always make me giggle!! I'm same as you can't shift my after birth tummy 2 years on! I think it's so hard being at home all the time I'm always snacking all the time a bit of this a bit of that won't hurt! I'm always starting a diet tommorrow lost a load last year and piled it all back on again under those winter jumpers!
Good luck with it all don't be too harsh on yourself your excercise thingy on the floor has me exausted just looking at it!
Sarahx

Ragged Roses said...

Hello and thanks for visiting my blog. I loved this post, really brightened up Monday evening for me. Having just returned from a weekend camping I can safely advise you that camping in this country, means rain, cold and lots and lots of warm layers of clothing mainly nylon that had us waddling around by the end of Sunday(our party of 8 looked like a reunion of michelin men!)
Kimx

The fabric of my life said...

This was so so funny and I had to nod a few times in agreement. I also thought tht you couldn't be that big if you can fit into those lovely little dresses (and swimsuits). I am dreaming of winter and lovely baggy knitwear.

Lesley (Notesfrommydays) said...

An award on my blog for you to collect :-) however, dont feel under any pressure to accessorise like last time you had one LOL
Lesley x

Mary Poppins said...

What a lovely blog you have, and i look forward to coming back x

MelMel said...

Hello...they do the thread tin via John Lewis and the p&p is free!!!!! JL online thats is!

Thank you for popping in...see you again soon!!!XXXXXXXX

MelMel said...

Hello!

Just had another read of your blog...love the story of shoes....hilarious!
Converse are my all time faves....perfect for childminding in.....fun and funky...but very practical!
My fave ones at the mo are my white ones with a butterfly and flower pattern on.....

also love the boden moment...well looks like afew Boden moments...!!!!!! who can resist it tho......when they have sassy jeans and fun skirts!!!!! brill!!

xxxxxx

Lesley (Notesfrommydays) said...

Glad you liked your award - of course a spotty mug from sainsburys to match is a good idea - may get one myself LOL

to link to another blog or website
in a new post type a word/name for example
"Lesley" during your post like Ive done in mine (that you want people to link on)
and then highlight it and click on the hyperlink icon above (the third one from left) and you get a little pop up box you can paste a blog address or website in ! hope that makes sense!
Lesley x

Hazel said...

Such an entertaining read! I am still smiling :)
I think the word 'diet' should be listed under swear words, perhaps along with 'weighing scales'
Looking forward to popping back again to read more of your posts.
Hazel