Shoe. n. Outer covering for the foot ending below the ankle.
Years ago, the easiest and simplest way to protect feet, was to grab the nearest vine and tie leaves, grass or even bark to the foot. How boring would that be if that was still the case? and how uncomfortable would that bark be? Thank goodness things have moved on!
Manolo Blahniks, Christian Louboutin, Jimmy Choos often displayed like precious jewels behind polished glass...aspirations...untouchable objects of desire!
Like Carrie Bradshaw (of Sex in the City), I too am particularly known for my fondness of shoes, the more colourful, unusual and 'sparkly' the better.
I also, must confess to buying 'Vogue' instead of dinner...(fabulous priorities I had in my early 20's!!), although these days it would more likely to be a copy of 'Red' or 'Country Living'.
Unfortunately though (apart from the un-tameable curly hair), that's where the similarities end. How I wish I had her wardrobe and beauty! Neither do I have her disposable income or colourful social life for which to purchase and display these works of art. I do however, every now and again, remove them from their boxes, unwrap the colourful tissue and lovingly 'stroke' them a little remembering happy days and occasions of times past! If only those shoes could tell a story...
My Precious Prada Ostrich skin Heels, now on their last legs but still remain my all time favourites, Happy memories worn the day before and the day after my Wedding.
That was then however, life moves on and brings with it 'sensible' shoe purchases required for the everyday activities of a mother of two little kiddiewinkles.
I thought I'd share with you a small selection that adorn my feet these days and the occasions for which they're worn. A little trivia thrown in for good measure!..How I love trivia...
For the little girl in me, worn for garden parties and children's parties!
To brighten up driving!..Who says driving has to be dull?!!
An early example of the Moccasin was a piece of treated skin (although probably not bubblegum pink cowhide!), with holes punched around the edge which was put under the foot and laced with a leather strap to draw it in and hold the shoe in place.
Playing on the beach, relaxing at home and summer day trips.
Flip Flops have been around for at least 6 thousand years. There are depictions of flip flops in ancient Egyptian murals on tombs and temples from about 4,000 B.C.
Country walks, walking the dogs and playing in the woods.
The Wellington Boot first evolved from the style worn by the Duke of Wellington, who was the first wearer of a full length boot originally made from leather.
Camping, walking on the beach in the winter, cutting the grass and gardening.
Crocs originated in July 2002, when 3 Boulder Colorado based founders decided to develop and market an innovative type of footwear intended as a boating/outdoor shoe because of its slip-resistant, non-marking sole.
Dinner Parties, Restaurants and trips to the theatre.
The origin of the high heel goes back many centuries in history. The first precursors of stiletto heels were discovered in a tomb of Tebas in Old Egypt and date from 1000 B.C.
Play days, coffee mornings, pre-school sports day!
Cath Kidston was founded in 1992 when Cath opened her first shop in Notting Hill selling old junk furniture and vintage fabrics. She now has 18 stores in the UK and has recently opened another 3 in Japan.
For any occasion, my favourites at the moment!
Pottering around shops, 'doing lunch' with family and friends!
Founded back in 1991 with only 8 menswear products, it wasn't long before women's wear joined them in 1994, children's wear in 1996 and baby wear in 2007. With Boden launching into the US market in 2002 and more recently into Germany, 600 workers dispatch over 3,000 orders a day. Maybe I don't order so much after all??
The pre-school run, supermarket trips and rainy days
In 1917 the higher boot for basketball was introduced by Converse and the shoe known as the 'Converse All Star' was born.
Obviously I could go on and on, but these are some of my favourites. I'd also hate my long suffering husband to realise that I don't really only posses 5 pairs!! Men are so gullible aren't they? Don't they realise that we hide our purchases all over the house?!!
I'll end with my absolute favourite pair of shoes residing at our family home here in Petticoat Lane; my daughters first pair of ballet shoes worn when she'd just turned 2!! (Pushy parent moment!), I think I'm going to put them in a box frame and hang them on her wall.

5 comments:
Hmm, very helpful indeed, actually, as am currently having a shoe dilemna. Am trying to decide what kind of footwear to wear in my new venture, as obviously needs to be comfy, but also want something as funky/glam as possible.Am just too short and chubby to wear flat shoes all day though..what to do?
I NEVER EVER had you down as a croc wearer. But I love the theatre shoes especially, the colour is fabulous. Love the converse too, maybe I should invest in a pair of those? I can't carry on wearing flipflops and birkenstocks for the rest of my life, I guess.
Cut me some slack...they're red and mary Jane styley and I don't wear them in public often!!! Does walking to the toilet block when camping count??.....I think you can carry on wearing flip flops and Birkenstocks...I live in mine! I have a great pair of silver birkenstocks I should have photographed!
What about FitFlops???!!!! You can work out as you walk!!! Saw some in brown suede yesterday!
Cut me some slack...they're red and Mary Jane styley and I don't wear them in public often!!! Does walking to the toilet block when camping count??.....I think you can carry on wearing flip flops and Birkenstocks...I live in mine! I have a great pair of silver birkenstocks I should have photographed!
What about FitFlops???!!!! You can work out as you walk!!! Saw some in brown suede yesterday!
I am slightly concerned about spilling scalding milk on my toes, hence wanting to get away from wearing open toed sandals or flipflops. And yes, you are allowed to get away with them for camping and gardening, just.
Not keen on Fitflops, think I will be getting a workout as it is each day without having aching calves and pushed out hips as well!
If I showed you pics of my shoes it would just be one pair of Converse after another and a lone pair of Vans sliders which are my faves
lisa x
Post a Comment