Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Britsh Seaside, Nostalgia and lashings of Ginger Beer............


"Hey you down there..."

"Who me"?

"Yeah you...the broad with the camera..Now I know I'm kinda handsome and look great against this beautiful blue sky but it's too good a day to waste in September. Stop taking my picture, get your lunch packed, grab the kids and follow me on down to Dorset...."

"But Mr Seagull, however much I'd love to I can't. My daughter has a star part at the Harvest Festival at our local church, she has to hold the 'H' up in the spelling of Harvest Festival. According to her it's a HUGE responsibility and they couldn't do it without her!"

"OK, OK, I'll let her off, let's all be grateful for a fruitful harvest, I know I am, but make an effort, yeah"?

So I did.

How I managed to get towels, changes of clothing, lunch etc, ready before our very own Child Star arrived home with her father I'll never know. As soon as I packed a bag, Beatrice would go along behind me unpacking it... At one stage I went downstairs to find her lying out on a beach towel, stripped down to her nappy with her sunglasses on. However much I tried to be annoyed with her for unpacking my bags, she did look funny!

Imogen arrived back with Mr PL and was promptly changed out of her Sunday Best, put into t-shirt and shorts and back in the car heading in the direction of Dorset. Mr PL did try and protest that by this time of day the road would be really busy but myself, captain Seagull, and the girls argued SO loudly he had no choice.
Now when Mr PL protests it's usually with very good reason and this time he was right...Us and half of the UK were on the A350 last Sunday morning, but hey, it was worth it...well I wasn't going to suggest otherwise. I can never admit that I'm wrong, well not to Mr PL anyway.



Two and a half hours later we arrived. Where? Studland Bay. A favourite haunt of ours, both Summer and Winter. A National Trust beach which just goes on and on, grassland, sand and beach huts. Shallow water inviting children to paddle, a lovely restaurant with tasty food and a great breakfast on a Winter's morning, and of course a lovely National Trust shop for me to peruse all the lovely gifts..... We love to walk on the beach in the Winter too, dressed in thick coats, gloves, hats and scarves, watching the horses gallop on by, wind beating against our rosey cheeks...

We were lucky, we managed to pick a day when a Triathlon had just taken place, so whilst making sand castles, we were able to listen to a great live band in the background and drool at the mouth with the smell of the hog roast. Too cruel for words for someone that's on a diet (Oh, and by the way is sat here typing away in her size 10 jeans...hurray...it's working!!).

Thought you might like to meet the family...

Beatrice - Aged 2.5 yrs, queen of eating sand and making a mess!


Imogen - Aged 4, future movie star


Mr PL - Aged OLD, and owner of a very large forehead! (He'll love me for that!)


Me (Petticoats) - Aged 36, not realising quite how much cleavage I was showing to the beach!

This will probably be the ONE and ONLY time that you get to see a picture of me. I HATE having my picture taken and realised recently that if something ever happened to me the girls wouldn't know what their mother looked like, probably a good thing!! Then they could imagine I looked like Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Snow White.....

Well, after a fabulous time spent on the beach, we decided to stop off at Corfe Castle on the way home. I love Corfe, it's like stepping back in time, stepping into the pages of an Enid Blyton book.

We picked a great day too as there was a re-enactment weekend at the castle, everyone dressed in 17th Century costumes.

Now as fellow bloggers, most of you can imagine my total dismay when the battery ran out on my camera!!!! How much did I swear? (silently of course!!). The girls loved it, well that was until the battle took place and gunfire wasn't something that Beatrice took a shine too, I'm not sure what was the loudest, Bea's screaming or the gunfire!

How I struggled to leave and look around all the shops..... lots of shops full to bursting with loveliness. The girls dragged Mr PL to their favourite sweet shop whilst I snuck away to indulge in my favourite shop.... the Ginger Pop Shop.

This is a fabulous shop run by a lady by the name of Vivienne Endecott, a life long Enid Blyton fan. Enid Blyton holiday'd in the Dorset area three times a year for over 20 years and there are many links to local landmarks, particularly in the Famous Five series. Vivienne is dedicating her life to keeping her memory alive. She gives great talks and walks around Corfe Castle village; 'In the Footsteps of the Famous Five', which looks at how this part of Dorset influenced some of the world's best loved children's books.

There are also things for you to find;
The Wishing Chair outside the Ginger Pop Shop
The Famous Five storyboard at Corfe Castle railway station.
Malory Towers storyboard at Norden railway station.

Her shop is all about childhood and has views of the castle from the shop window, immortalised as Kirrin Castle in the Famous Five series and usually with the jackdaws flying around the towers.
I could have spent an absolute fortune in there in a very short space of time. There were 150 Enid Blyton titles, books and C.Ds, a fridge full of lashings of Ginger Beer, Ginger Beer kits and many books of childhood in the 1950's & 1960's. In the end I settled for a Ginger Beer kit (Where on earth am I going to put 26 pints of the stuff when we make it)???? Along with all these gorgeous postcards from the Robert Opie Collection to share with you all.

I used to love visiting the Robert Opie Collection at Gloucester Docks with my mother and grandmothers whilst they reminisced over all the beautiful packaging from bygone years. Unfortunately the developers came in and wanted to turn the lovely old warehouse the collection was housed in, into modern dockland apartments. The collection is now in Notting Hill I believe.
Do any of these bring back memories?

Metal Polish started to be made in a liquid form in Edwardian times; an early success was Brasso, launched in 1905.
Poster c1930.


Sunlight Soap Series
Lever Brothers was founded in 1885 when William and James Lever bought a small soap works in Warrington.
c1910 Magazine Insert


1940's Propaganda Series
The War Savings Campaign was set up by the War Office in November 1939. Local savings weeks became regular events supported by poster campaigns.
1940's Poster.



Cycle Series
Thomas Wall made ice cream a popular British taste from 1922, along with tricycles that sold tubs at 4d. and snowfruits at 1d.
Leaflet 1930.



When We Were Young Series
James Robertson began selling marmalade in 1864. The Golly symbol was adopted by the company as its trademark in 1914.
1920s Advertisement.



Picnic Series
The Golly motif came into use around 1910. The company's advertising slogan was "Golly it's Good"
Showcard 1930's




Childhood Series
Mansion floor polish was introduced in 1912 by the makers of Cherry Blossom shoe polish.
1930's Showcard.



Children's Wear Series
Gustav Jaeger believed it was healthier for people to dress entirely in animal hair, such as wool. The company did not use synthetics until the 1950s.
1930s Knitting Pattern.




Children's Wear Series
Mabel Lucie Attwell's charming and innocent pictures often appear in advertising. The Jaeger twins were used successfully to promote Jaeger wool.
c 1930 Pattern


Mabel Lucie Attwell Bedtime Series
Mabel Lucie Attwell drew as if the children themselves had created the images, whilst living in the adult world.
Box Lid c1930




Out of School Series
Originally called Sumner's Ty-phoo Tea and available from 1905, the grey pack design lasted until around 1960.
Showcard c1955



Confectionery Series
Polo mints were launched in 1948 when there was still rationing on sweets...hence the 'mint with the hole'
Advertisement early 1950's



Childhood Series
The Marmite Food Extract Company Ltd. was founded in 1902. Originally sold in earthenware pots, by 1930 the distinctive glass jars had been introduced.
Poster early 1930s.


Mabel Lucie Attwell Series
Patented as Smith's Patent Germ Flour in 1887, it was renamed in 1880 as Hovis following a competition for a new name.
Poster 1930.




Fifties, Sixties, Seventies Cars Series
Forever associated with motor caravans, the Dormobile grew from traders putting cushions into their vans to take the family out.
Brochure 1963.



Box Trolly Series
Bisto was launched by Cerebos in 1910 with the slogan "Browns, Seasons, thickens in one".
Leaflet c1930




Confectionery Series
Scottish family business McVitie's and McFarlane Lang merged in 1948 to become United Biscuits, acquiring McDonalds in 1960.
1950s Magazine Advertisement.



OK, That's me done......I haven't blogged for weeks and once I started I couldn't stop...If you got this far, 'Well Done'! Hope you enjoyed stepping back in time with me?

22 comments:

Pink Feather Paradise said...

I have never been to Studland bay, Is it still a nudist beach? I remember going to Corfe Castle many years ago it was fantastic, I didn't realise it has an Enid Blyton connection though.

I would love to go back to Lulworth Cove again one day too.

I must get organised for next weekend and bundle the kids in the car and get out of the house for a change.

Thank you for sharing your wonderful day out and reminding me to stop saying "yeah we'll do it tomorrow" and pull my finger out and do it today!
Cheers Alex

Lesley (Notesfrommydays) said...

I did rather enjoy stepping back in time with you :-) Can't beleive I missed Corfe Castle whilst frolicking in Dorset - I love love love Enid Blyton as a child and still do nowadays and can be found re-reading The Folk of the Faraway Tree out loud with neither child in sight LOL Pity we missed you but will meet up soon I hope ! Bath here I come............ love the yummy mummy shot :-D

AKI-G@UL said...

Hi, nice to visit in your site, have a great day and greeting's from Jakarta, Indonesia !

http://aqiegaul.blogspot.com

MelMel said...

Hello!
I think you look very pretty in your photo! Is that a joules dress or boden?
I adore advertising posters, i have a number of them around our home, either framed or metal ones....many of them are on your blog, my fave is the Bisto kids one!
What a lovely place you went to visit, i love Enid Blyton books, the Famous Five, Malory Towers and St.Clares being my faves!
I used to want to really go to boarding school so i could have a trunk and a tuck box!
Bless me!
Thank you for the lovely comment.......think i did well on mt budget!xxxxxxx

Hen said...

I am with you on not liking having my photo taken (but if I were a size 10 - well done you- I wouldn't mind so much)! Anyway, it's always nice to put a face to the name although my mental image of you was very different! Love the girlies, what good old fashioned British fun.
We also love Corfe Castle and all its associations with Enid Blyton. The Munchkin is currently gripped by an EB obsession (and all my books have been unearthed from my parents loft) so we should visit again now he could properly appreciate it. My other half was disappointed there were no photos of steam trains! Oh dear...
Hen x

mollycupcakes said...

What a fabulous day, blue skies, sun, sea and sand.
And all those wonderful Enid Blython things, i just love her books and can't stop myself buying them in charity shops of boot fairs, even if i have them already lol
Loving the old posters, I've seen the golly one for the maralade and Bisto.
So glad you had a lovely weekend, ours was full of crap houses but finished with a nice visit to Grannies and walk along the river.
Many hugs.
Catherine x

Lois said...

I so enjoyed it!
I just finished Paul Therouxs book on the British Coast, and found it was a little cynical, and a bit of an 'American' view. I guess it would be as he was an 'American' writing about Britian! I am going to try and get the book by Vivienne Endacott, "The Dorset Days", to read about a hopefully kinder gentler view of the coast you love.
Thanks for sharing.
Lois

Lois said...

By the way, Long blonde hair, cleavage, the figure to wear that beautiful dress! Enjoy yourself, you look beautiful.

Anonymous said...

What a great day out!
I love the poster pics . I have one or two Robert Opie books..not to mention Enid Blyton!!
Glad you had blue skies too ;-)

Mandy @ Belle and Boo said...

oohhh I have just really enjoyed looking at your vintage illustrations right up my street. Thank you for the lovely commment you left on my blog. The dresses will be approx £32 if you would like us to reserve you one please email me at mandy@belleandboo.com
Mandy :)

Garden Girl said...

My, what a lovely stripey windbreak you have, Petticoats...!!!
I have the marmite sign in enamel on the kitchen wall at home, R bought it home one day.
Great piccies of you looking glam on the beach, and well done on the size 10 jeans! I don't think Ihave ever been a size 10 in my life. Sigh. I have dropped a jeans size, but not sharing with anyone what to!!

Summer by the sea said...

Lovely post, it looks like a great day at the beach, you look so glamorous (love your dress and the joules cooler bag!) Thank you also for taking a look at my website, it is so nice to have positive feedback, I wanted the site to look clean, easy to use and gimmick free (no flashing 'sale' signs like so many curtain websites) so thank you very much, I really appreciate it - Natalie x

Unknown said...

Hey there
Love the pictures of you all on the beach. Kids look great!
Hope I'm now registered in the NZ section of the blog!
lots of love
R xx

Country Bliss said...

It is great to be able to go to the beach at last isn't it? You're very brave having your photo taken, I always hide as my baby weight hasn't shifted yet!
Love the advertising postcards.
Yvonne

Mocha Sticks said...

Love all the old posters - especially the little chubby faced Mabel Lucie Attwell ones! I love the beach and wish we were closer to one!

Anonymous said...

I love the good old british seaside :-) it looked like you had a fab time and weather was good to :-))

Ragged Roses said...

Forgive me I am just drooling over my keyboard, oh how I love all those images and oh how I love Studland and Corfe Castle and Enid Blyton, my kind of a dream day!!! Lovely to meet the family too, glad you managed to make the most of the sunshine
Kimx

Joanne said...

What a fantastic post it's been a while for me too, I mean I've not been blogging or even reading blogs. Now Studland what a great place. You know the hotel along the front The Knoll House, well I worked there for two summers as a chamber maid I had the best time ever, I was young, free and well drunk oh how wonderful it was to be twenty. Not that I would want to be still doing all that drinking and partying now.
Your post has come just at the right time It's M's birthday Saturday and his parents have offered to have the children for the day so we can go out now I know where we're going. thanks for the inspiration.

Mary Poppins said...

I grew up by the sea and I think it never leaves you :) you look lovely in your photograph and look like you were all enjoying yourselves X

The fabric of my life said...

Lovely post, well worth waiting for! You look gorgeous on the beach Mrs 10 (way to go honey)! I shall have to find the Enid Blyton lady at Corfe and take my Famous Five obsessed son. Sounds right up his street, and mine.

tess said...

wow, what a fantastic day out, and just love your post card collection, I think the typhoo tea is my favourite, must be those long plaits flying along behind as the little girl cycles.

Gill said...

Thank you for sharing your day out, we holidayed in Poole some years ago and I loved the area, you brought back some happy memories.