Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Forever Autumn........

"Mummy can we do races today"?
"Races? What do you mean"?
"You know mummy, when we all go somewhere and run and I always win"
"No..I Do, I do" Beatrice interupts...
"No Beatrice, I DO, your legs are too little and fat, they don't go as fast as mine yet".
Sisterly love and competitiveness.

Now for those of you that know me, I am certainly not known for my sporting abilities, I leave that to my sister..her Nike's are far more prone to tread the pavements than mine. This is Probably because her's have a more scenic route to follow than mine with her living in Wellington, New Zealand. Mine always get to the front door and decide they'd rather stay dry and clean retreating quietly back to the bottom of my wardrobe.

Even though Imogen suffers from her 'Bendy Legs Syndrome', she felt that she could manage a few races and a gentle stroll somewhere! for those of you not familiar with such a syndrome the diagnosis consists of legs that become very tired and therefore buckle at the knees leaving her with what she describes as 'Bendy Legs'. This usually happens after walking around shops for an hour or so, or when daddy's shoulders seem a better option.

Now at this time of year, mummy's favourite 'Race' spot is Stourhead in Somerset. Stourhead is the most beautiful spot where my children are lucky enough to spend alot of their early years taking in its beauty during all four seasons. It's also become a favourite of ours for Christmas Eve, for a brisk walk with family members to blow away the cobwebs and a flask of mulled wine to enjoy before lunch at the wonderful Spread Eagle in front of the roaring fire, before returning to Petticoat lane and awaiting the visit from St Nicholas to fill the girls' shoes with sweets (A tradition for them to remember their German roots).. Oh, how I love Christmas Eve.

So, I mustered up all my enthusiasm having spent the last few weeks suffering from 'Man Flu', pulled on my wellington boots and loaded us all into the car Stourhead bound.

Initially I was a little disappointed as I expected to be greeted with the stunning Autumnal sight that adorns many a National Trust publication, but unfortunately I was slightly too early for that particular sight. It still took my breath away though, it always does, there's something so uplifting about it, especially when we arrive before the crowds descend.

We get to witness the dew droplets on grass and freshly fallen leaves, the mist rising from the lake. We were welcomed by these friendly fellows out for their morning constitutional. They were obviously expecting us to provide them with breakfast!

As we turned the first corner, we saw an abundance of Autumnal colour warming our chilly morning, I even almost broke into a 'gentle run' to get to the beautiful vibrant leaves.



We all had so much fun, we ran kicking leaves, climbed into the entwined branches of the trees. We used the old raised roots as steps to climb as we circled the magical trees, hundreds of years old, looking for Fairies. We loved every moment of the magical memories we were creating.

The leaves mingled together on the woodland floor, a patchwork of autumnal shades, inviting us to collect them, photograph them and in Beatrice's case..eat them................ Oh my, the girl will eat EVERYTHING!!!

Once in that Lakeland plastic bag (Not very environmental friendly I know)! there was no way that Beatrice was letting go, they were hers, jewels to take home and create beautiful 'crispy' pictures with, reminding us that time moves forward bringing with it the changing of seasons for us to enjoy and learn about and develop our knowledge of the world and our surroundings.

With every twist and turn we discovered another delight....This beautiful Grotto.

Where we were greeted by this stunning view...This lovely lady seemed to be enjoying it.

But the smile on her face may have been down to this gentleman keeping her company!


Hansel and Gretel's house greeted us deep within the Forest...They couldn't help but peer in through the windows looking for Gretel to come 'out to play'...

The Temple where I brought them the morning after their grandmother passed away, to clear my head, say a little prayer and remember the wonderful times spent with her..

Then, yes it happened.....we had a 'Bendy Legs' moment, this was probably due to the fact that Imogen had realised that we were only half way round and it was the first time we'd ever been without a pushchair for back up!! She agreed to a little rest and refreshment stop before carrying on our merry little way.

We walked along the lake, chatted to the ducks, the girls even had time to stop for a kiss and a cuddle, telling each other how much they loved one another.....How my heart melted as I remembered the reason I had them so close together...The best of friends, forever...I hope!

We examined the Fungi.

We jumped in puddles.

We explored texture whilst we felt the rough bark of the trees.
We stood at the bottom of beautiful old trees looking up at them towering above us, trees that had stood there in such stunning surroundings for hundreds of years watching thousands and thousands of people gently stroll by, mesmerised by the richness of colour that they were an integral part of creating. A scene of beauty, once viewed and never forgotten.

The girls looked in wonder at those trees that had come to the end of their long, long lives leaving behind them stumps, full of rings, rings representing the years for which they stood...hundreds of years. We started to count the rings as I explained how we could tell the age of the tree. Unfortunately Beatrice could only make it to very 'shaky' ten, so we just multiplied it by 5 and moved swiftly on..It may have taken a while and even my legs were starting to feel a little 'bendy' by this stage.

Having reached the end of our walk I'd accomplished what I had set out to achieve. We'd had great deal of fun, taking in the beauty whilst we exercised, ran a few races, learnt a great deal in a fun and interesting way, but most of all created wonderful memories during our few hours at Stourhead. Memories I will always hold dear.



We waved goodbye, walking past these pretty little cottages on our way out, watching horse's walk on by as we stood admiring the pretty village church...Oh and had one last race around the tree....Something tells me no one will win this particular race!

Now time to make lots of 'crispy' collages...........................

32 comments:

Pink Feather Paradise said...

What a wonderful day out, I think autumn colours are wonderful.
I use to attend the Fete Champetre's at Stourhead in my younger days.
I wish I had a frame like one of those beautiful Chinese silk fans that I could hold up and see the ladies in their flowing dresses and gentlemen in their dapper clothes from yester-year meeting in the grotto's for secret assignations, it must have been so elegant.
I am gaining so many fab ides of things to do over half term from reading all these wonderful adventures, thank you for sharing your family moment.....
**Alex**

mollycupcakes said...

That place looks truely magical, full of fairies and pixies.
What a fabulous place for a Autumn walk.
Your girls are so cute, i love the cuddle photo. Aren't we both lucky to have had them so close togther, i hope my two stay as close as they now. We get lots of i love you Molly's and Daisy's isn't it the sweetest thing to hear? I wish i'd had a sister to cuddle up too but sadly i'm a only child :(
I think this is why i wanted a bigger family, Christmas is so much fun.
I like the osund of the shoes filled with sweets, i think Ben would want one too lol
Beautiful post honey-pie.
Take care,
hugs.
Catherine x

Lesley (Notesfrommydays) said...

what a lovely day out Mrs PL :-)
love that little hansel and gretel house - can i move in with all my lovely things and enjoy the quiet please!! girls look gorgeous as usual :-) hope your feeling lots better and well done on getting some pics on it was worth the hassle !
Lesley x

Gigi said...

What gorgeous pictures. You do live in a beautiful part of the world. I'm a little jealous.
Your girls are adorable -- love the polka dotted wellies.
Georganna

Kathy said...

What a lovely day out you had and thank you for sharing it. My two boys are close in age (23 months - although 1 school year apart) and are still the best of friends. Now that my boys are at school I miss those days when we too used to go for days out during the week. I know it is a cliche but times really does go so quickly. I too love Autumn, the colours of the leaves are absolutely stunning and I still adore walking through lots of leaves kicking and crunching as I go (and dodging the dog sh*t that is hidden - don't ask!!). And absolutely adore conker picking and the game of conkers! Your blog is lovely. Kathyx

Just Original said...

What a great day out, looking at the photo's and reading what you got up to are you sure you were not staying in Stourhead for a week and you have not really had man flu!!!

I love days like that as they are days to remember.

Will your daughter grow out of bendy leg syndrome?

Have a great weekend

Vanessa x

Unknown said...

That's really cheered me up, I love Autumn it's my favourite season & what a beautiful lot of photo's! The Hansel and Gretel house looks so magical.

I just love to see what Joules delights I can spy too.

I'm sorry you've had the dreaded lurgy too. It's been a nasty one hasn't it. I still look like Dracula and supposed to be going out for a school mums evening so I'll have to wear my eye patch to hide my 'Red' eye.
You are still entered in the Giveaway by the way :)
x

Cowboys and Custard Mercantile said...

Stourhead is indeed a very fine place.. in fact you have just reminded me of our trip there last year.. I think it was this time last year.. I will go check my blog in a minute. It was perishingly cold but as you say.. breathtaking. Capability brown was pretty nifty with a spade wasn't he!?
Hope that cold has been shown the door by now!?
Yes it was my cards you say in Crockadoodle do.. well spotted eagle eyes! Hope you had a lovely lunch.
Love
Michele

Anonymous said...

I think I'd jump in a few more puddles if Ihad wonderful spotty wellies like those!
Lovely day out.

Heather said...

what a beautiful, amazing place! Your home looks so magical, and your girls are adorable. Nice to meet you!~
Heather

Anonymous said...

Stourhead is lovely.I visited a few years ago and think it is time for another visit soon!
Thanks for taking us along with you!
;-)

Summer by the sea said...

bendy legs syndrome - so that's the name for the affliction that commonly strikes down my two year old, usually when I have 2 or three bags of shopping to carry!
Lovely photo's as usual - Natalie x
P.S - how close in age are your two? - my boys are 20 months apart and very close

julie said...

What a fantastice place, I have never been but it looks magical arn't you glad you pulled on your wellies and went

love jules x

Joanne said...

What a lovely day spent with the girls. You've got some fantastic photo's there for memories.

dragonfly said...

That looks like the perfect day out - lovely photos.

I did giggle at Bendy Leg Syndrome - they do grow out of it, but I remember it well!

Hen said...

Oooh, I love your girls, they look good enough to eat! Almost tempts me to have one of my own...steady on!!

I must go to Stourhead as we see signs for it on our way down to the cottage. Look forward to seeing the crispy collages...

Hen x

Pink Feather Paradise said...

Thanks for your lovely comments, we left the mural behind when we moved so I assume the next owners painted over it........ repeatedly!
I have a catalogue but unfortunately Jamie is 5'4 inches tall and has size 7 feet, I am not sure they cater for 10 year old giants!, but I will have a look to check....

Take care
Alex

Ragged Roses said...

What a wonderful day, lovely photos. I must visit Stourhead one day. My two girls suffered from bendy legs, it does seem to pass but is soon replaced with "can't get out of bed" syndrome. Take care enjoy these Autumn days
Kimx

Country Bliss said...

Gorgeous photos, it looks like a really beautiful place to go to. I want those wellies they're so cute!
Yvonne x

Debbies-English-Treasures said...

So many wonderful photos!
They are all so beautiful... but the ones that I like the best are the ones with your little girls on!
They are absolutly adorable!
Kisses
Debbie Moss

Debbies-English-Treasures said...

So many wonderful photos!
They are all so beautiful... but the ones that I like the best are the ones with your little girls on!
They are absolutly adorable!
Kisses
Debbie Moss

MelMel said...

Hello!
Of course you can just have cake!
I'm watching goodnight sweetheart!

Lovely post!xxx

MelMel said...

Oh i've added you to my fave blog list!x

MelMel said...

Glad to add you...really love your blog......so cute!
Was fabby going there today!
Sadly i'm now banning myself...as i'm going to the York shop at the end of this month!
Good discount tho!
xxyry

Janine said...

I just found your site and so enjoyed it! Thank you for sharing your lovely day. Oh how beautiful!

Miss sew n sew said...

Beautiful day and beautiful moments Emily too has suffered with bendy leg syndrome but am glad to say has improved greatly with age! Your girls are so cute love their outfits can I spot some Joules there?! I love it when my two are best buddies, makes it worthwhile having them close together when they fullfill your dreams like that!
Sarahx

Debbies-English-Treasures said...

Thanks so much for the comment that you left me!
They also... meant a lot to me!
By the way... I wish you and your loved ones a WONDERFUL WEEKEND!
Kisses
Debbie Moss

dottycookie said...

Gorgeous photos! I do like the sound of yopur Christmas Eve tradition. Mulled wine in a flask - genius!

MelMel said...

Took all afternoon and evening on Sunday, but i found it very relaxing...I'm pleased with it...Stanley is sweet and i saved money because i did want a CK Stanley bag...but it was too much££££
Anyway i now have my own!
xxxx

Shropshire Girl said...

Have just found your great blog during a pleasant evening blog reading. What a wonderful place, you are so right to seek to make wonderful memories for those two adorable girls. I have never heard of Stourhead but now I want to go visit!

prettyshabby said...

what a wonderful place to walk,so,so lovely..I can almost smell those fallen leaves! I do miss those days of 'leaf kicking and duck feeding'. I had my two hooligans close together as well (15 months apart)..we have lots of photos of hugs..with one of them turning red and the other hugging with gritted teeth..brotherly love! they get on for several years, then they fight for several then suddenly they are the best of friends again! lovely post Jane x

Country Cottage Chic said...

It seems everyone in Blogland has been having lovely autumnal outings lately!